Monday, March 31, 2008

okay okay...

I'm finally posting...after like 20 requests from the Hofmann's :) It's just been a long time because there has been a lot going on at work and that's usually when I post....oops. Anyways, things are going well. I am learning so much! We have been doing a money study with Josh Patterson and a bunch of staff members and it has been great! We have totally redone how we do our finances. We have changed over the cash system...which means we use cash for most things, food, entertainment, groceries, that sort of thing. Everything else we use our credit card, bills, gas, bigger purchases and pay it off every month. We already had a budget, but we have re-worked a lot of things...like how we do our savings and what we use cash for and what we use the card for. It's been awesome! It's been incredibly freeing for me because I tend to not want to do anything fun, but put every penny in savings. Eric is the opposite because he wants to have fun and save moderately....so instead of me saying no to him every time he wants to do something fun we just check the cash and see if we have enough. It's great! I have even gotten some new clothes without feeling guilty! Amazing! So, that's been great...thanks Josh and Nat and Bleecker and Faith for all you've taught us and everyone else in the study who have been going through this with us. I think we've all gotten a lot out of it.

I'm still meeting with Katherine occasionally and she has brought a lot of issues to the surface and taught me a lot. I've really enjoyed going deeper with her. The biggest thing that I have been dealing with lately is confession...there have been times that I have felt the need to confess and I have...it's been really good because I want to ignore the need to confess and just keep it to myself or just between me and Katherine or me and Eric, but I know I need to be more open about where I am with my community, so that's what I'm learning and it's been great!

We have planned our vacations for the summer! We are going to Graceland and Thayer, MO with Josh and Angela Walker. Eric has always wanted to go to Graceland, so we decided to go up to Thayer for my nephews graduation in May and stop through Memphis on the way. The Walkers will get to see my home town...they are so lucky :) So that will be fun! We are also going to Portland with John and Natalee Warren in July! That's where John is from and he's been telling us how great it is, so we are excited to hang out. We don't know for sure what we're doing while we're there yet, but we might go camping and maybe to Seattle because it's only 3 hours away. Either way both trips are going to be a blast! It's also really encouraging to us that we are making couple friends! It's just been awesome how the Lord has brought us together with so many couples from the Village, through our home group and the staff and even the worship band...it's so great.

Welp....that's my update. I will try to update again before next month!

6 comments:

Amber said...

andrea!
love the post.
Love that you are using cash. so great.
Love that you are taking people to Thayer, MO
Love how blessed they will be by the wonderful MO.
Love that you are going to Graceland.
Love that you are going to Portland.
(Please dont tell vernon...he will be forever jealous.
The worlds largest used bookstore is there and he wants to go SOOOO bad. its like three blocks long and two or three stories...aka Vernon's dream land.)
Love that you updated.
Hate that I am the worst get together planner.
Love you friend!
out.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that you have freed Eric to buy a few, moderately priced toys. Don't tell Lee.

Anonymous said...

yes!! that's so cool that you posted just bc of us hofmanns! dang we're cool...or needy...

Matthew said...

Andrea,
Great to hear an update. It certainly sounds as if things are going well for you guys. Glad to hear it!

Matthew

Lauren Williams said...

good post andrea! oooh the cash system... oh so good but can be oh so tough! jer and i have had months where neither of us pulls the cash for the month and neither of us talks about it!haha! it's like denial at it's finest!!!

John and Natalee Warren said...

Yay for the update! Can't wait to see you Monday- feels like its been forever!